Her dreams brought them together, but reality could tear them apart…
The man of Zoe Morgan’s dreams isn’t only real, he’s interested. In her. But her boss wants her too, and is leveraging his unsolicited advances with the threat of blocking the huge promotion she’s after. When he places a spy on her research team, the intense stranger discovers more than he should, and Zoe fears hiding a relationship with Gavin Cassidy from her boss is the least of her worries. The whale she must protect has been marked for death, and Zoe’s old enemy Scarlet is eager to deliver the killing blow. To both of them.
Australia’s Sentinels must find and lock the door into the Dreaming before Fyre Elementals launch another attack on innocent dreamers. But corruption and distrust abound, and Gavin believes someone on the Sentinel council is in league with the Fyres. As he reluctantly embraces his new role as council leader, Gavin must not only keep Zoe safe from Scarlet’s vengeful clutches, but organize a Sentinel defense strong enough to prevent a full-blown Elemental war—with a traitor fighting by his side.
Ever since I finished “Exhale” I’ve been sitting here, starring at my tear stained pages* hoping that the words would come.
All I could come up with was “Fuuuuuck guys… FUUUUUCK!” I’m not always eloquent, so sue me.
This book picks up a little before “Inhale” ends, this time from Gavin’s perspective. In the beginning, everything is great. Well, sure, there are problems. You’re dealing with the repercussions of what happened in the last book, and it kind of just throws you into it. What you do get to smooth the way are some HILARIOUS lines.
“Down boy, he warned the tent itching for a pitching under his jeans.”
“Gavin wouldn’t know a good thing if it dressed him in women’s lingerie, tied him down, and fucked him up the arse.”
I was laughing so hard I was tearing up. Ms. Grey is a truly talented author, and has a way with words that slaps you until you take notice.
Then the narrative strikes.
See, it waits until you’re on that “hey this is a fun and highly entertaining jaunt into a paranormal world full of whales and kinky sex” and starts sucker punching you. And you just keep taking it, because surely things can’t get worse? Right? I mean that part had to be the last tear jerking moment. Right? She’s not really going to make me cry more, is she?
They do. It isn’t. And she will. Oh yes, she will. In fact, I’m pretty sure that she actually dresses up in black leather and has a whip when she writes. And she doesn’t care if you consented to this abuse or not. In the end, my e-mails to Ms. Grey** became long strings of expletives and threats. I’m not proud.
I have other notes I couldn’t manage to cram into this review anywhere else, so I’m making a bullet point list as if that was my plan all along. Just act like that’s not weird, okay?
- Zoe and Gavin: They’re so sweet when they’re bumbling over themselves. It’s adorable.
- Sinnder: I just want to know everything about him. He’s like one of those mystery present ball things (I’m not crazy… this is what I mean) and every time we get another peak at him we reveal another hidden gem. I have secret hopes and dreams for him that I shared with Ms. Grey (before the cussing started)… but I shouldn’t say any more.
- Scarlet: I’m going to drown that cu… err… not nice lady in a bird bath filled with bird poop. And then pee on her ashes. I hate her so much *I* might catch on fire.
- Iri: Oh.my.god. I just can’t even go there right now. It’s still too fresh
- Jet: Like Sinnder, I want more of her. She’s so subtle and yet so awesome, that even though she’s around for maybe a total of 5 pages, you’ll remember her long after the story is done.
- Jack: Fuck. I loved Jack. There’s a big reveal with this character, and even if you see it coming, it does not lessen the emotional impact. (This isn’t one of the sucker punches. Ok, it kind of is, but when you’re bent in half wheezing it rubs your back in a soothing manner. Kind of like those Sour Patch Kid commercials)
- The writing: For realz. Ms. Grey is a genius. Quirky, witty, and always with an edge of suspense, she keeps you on your toes.
OH I JUST THOUGHT OF ANOTHER AWESOME QUOTE!
Jack’s face froze in a mask of horror. “Shit.”
Gavin tensed, searching the trees, the grass, and shadows for another intruder. “What is it?”
“I lost my apple.”
5 stars. Just don’t eat a big meal before reading it… unless you enjoy throwing up from emotional upheaval.
*Again, kiddos, I don’t write in the analog world, but “I was crying into my keyboard” doesn’t invoke the same imagery.
It would make a bitching band name though.
**Yeah, I e-mail authors. I’m cool like that. Actually, Ms. Grey is totally awesome, you should read her books then chat with her on twitter.
GET YOUR COPY FROM AMAZON.COM
Click here for the Kindle book!